CONVERTING A 6 VOLT FERGUSON TRACTOR TO 12 VOLT (using a 12 Volt Generator)
- Secure a 12V generator (Delco models 1100359, 1100362, 1100434, 1100435, 1100529, or 1100998 will fit and you can use the same mounting bracket).
- It is best to replace the 6V coil with a 12V unit with a built-in resistor. An alternative is to continue to use the 6v coil and add a ballast resistor in the line from the ignition switch to the coil.
- You will need a 12V battery. Ground it negatively.
- Reverse the wires on the terminals of the ammeter.
- It is not necessary to replace the starter with a 12V unit. Just don’t crank the starter for long periods of time as it will heat up a bit sooner than a 12V unit will because of the extra voltage.
- If you have lights you will need to change the lamps in the headlights and work light and the bulb in the taillight to 12V.
- You should polarize the generator, particularly if it has been unused for a long period.